Sunday, February 13, 2011

Is It in the Cards?


According to a 2008 study from the CF Foundation Patient Registry, the median life expectancy for a person with Cystic Fibrosis is 37.4 years of age. I'm 29.2 years old. I don't want to live life like the last few grains of sand are about to slide into the bottom bulb of my hourglass as Tim McGraw suggests in his song "Live Like You Were Dying." Nor do I want to live life as if tomorrow is a guarantee. I find myself basking in-between these two outlooks. Allow me to explain.

If I pursued every dream and every goal as if I had a finite period of time to accomplish these things, then there would be very little enjoyment in each experience. My life would be one large checklist. Who wants that? (Now, I’m not dismissing the importance of checklists; they're great for things like groceries and holiday shopping, but they are simply not ideal in regards to life events).  The opposite school of thought would then be to live life recklessly with no regrets as Hinder’s Austin Winkler sings about in “The Best Is Yet to Come.” Though little responsibility sounds appealing, I personally would regret missing out on conquered challenges and achieved goals. In fact, I would regret my lack of achievements. This is not to take away from Mr. Winkler’s achievements; he achieved rock stardom and has affected millions of lives with his lyrics. I am a teacher. I have positively impacted thousands of lives with my guidance, experiences, and compassion...maybe more with this blog.

The other side of the coin suggests that I should live my life as if I don’t have a disease and take my unlimited days for granted. Well, that just sounds foolish and unwise, yet we all do this. Have you ever said or thought, “I’ll get to that tomorrow.” What if there was no tomorrow? I guess you just won’t get to that thing…right? I will leave you with this final thought and comparison.

I like to think that I play my hand in life like Maverick (Mel Gibson) plays his final hand of poker in Maverick (1994). He allows the last card to lay face down and makes his bet while believing that card is the card he needs: the ace of spades. I’m the type who doesn’t like to look at my cards. I simply believe that the card I need is going to be there. Whether that card takes the form of another birthday celebration or a short trip to the grocery store with my lovely fiancĂ©, I neither want to plan for it or expect it to happen; I just believe it will happen. That does not mean that I don't play the odds. I do what I can to maintain my health by staying active, keeping on top of colds, and following doctors' orders, but I do not allow my opponent to bluff me out of living my life. Who knew, other than Phil Hellmuth, that one could create an extended metaphor of life using five-card stud? Go me!


~Scott

2 comments:

  1. Wow, What a great Posting and what great writing. You have a such positive way of looking at your life.. We are so proud of you and your blog. I hope CF patients find out about this sit and get involved with reading it and submitting their own information/questions. Reading your blog lets CF patients realize that they can make plans, get married and succeed in life. Hearing this from someone who has CF is going to help them more than a Dr. telling them. You give hope to those with CF and also to the parents of those children. I honestly think this blog is great therapy, not only for others, but for your family too..... I wish you all the luck in the world with your Blog. You're such a great writer and a great person.....Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Love Spell,Prostate Cancer,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Blood Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Love Spell,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ . I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ReplyDelete